The bidding round for the British Embassy to Libya’s new human rights and democracy fund, the Magna Carta Fund, was launched on Monday 18 January.
The Magna Carta Fund is the FCO’s programme fund committed to support, promote, and protect global human rights, and work on democracy and the rule of law.
Libya is a priority country for funding, and there is provision for up to £400,000 to fund a project in Libya for the 2016/2017 financial year. We are looking to fund a large and ambitious project.
This fund will focus on specific issues that demonstrate on-the-ground impact. The three specific themes that concept bids for Libya must focus on are:
- Gender Based Violence – project bids that aim to address gender violence, for example sexual violence in conflict, by working with communities and local partners;
- Judiciary reform and training – project bids that aim to strengthen the Libyan Criminal Justice System in a conflict sensitive way, for example by informing reforms and governance structures, oversight, investigatory techniques, evidence gathering/handing, and human rights;
- Persons with Disabilities – project bids that target the people with disabilities in Libya.
All organizations are invited to submit a concept bid of maximum two pages plus a 1 page budget by the 10 February deadline. Anticipated processes for those who are interested are:
- 10 February [by midday 1200, Tunis time] – Deadline for Concept notes, plus a 1 page budget
- 17 February – shortlisted implementers informed and asked to develop full proposals
- 04 March – Full proposal deadline for shortlisted implementers
- By Mid-May – Shortlisted implementers to be informed of their decision regarding their proposals
Interested organizations are encouraged to informally discuss their ideas with the Embassy (contact details below) before submitting a concept note.
Submission received after the deadline, or with missing documentation, will not be accepted. Please ensure that your concept note is relevant to at least one of the three themes listed above, or it will be disqualified.
Organizations will be contacted whether they are successful or not. If successfully shortlisted, you will be invited to submit a full proposal by the relative deadline above.
Please read the relevant information, selection criteria, and find the key documents on the following link: Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy.
For any queries or to discuss your ideas with the Embassy please call:
- Helena Owen: 00216 711 08731.
- Asma Siyala: 00216 711 08736.
Please submit concept notes to:
(Source: UK FCO)