Weekly Security report by SNE Special Projects 5 May 2015

SNE Special Projects have operated within Libya since the revolution of 2011 and are a fully licensed security provider working with our Libyan partner company. We have kept our permanent British & Libyan Country Management Team in Tripoli throughout the last few difficult months, supporting our clients staff and critical infrastructure and offering up to date, regular and accurate reporting throughout this period. We are now in a strong position to advise and support our clients as they look to plan their re-entry back into Libya as and when the current situation stabilises enough and allows for remobilization. We have a vast amount of experience of supporting clients from the media, telecoms, power generation, Oil & Gas, Construction & NGO sectors. For more information on our services within Libya please email us at [email protected]

The United Nations envoy to Libya Bernardino Leon said this Wednesday that the Security Council wants to see a political agreement on Libya before Ramadan, which begins in the middle of June, he spoke to reporters after briefing the council behind closed doors, two days after giving the latest draft agreement to parties in the oil-rich country. Leon said he wants to see "direct, face to face meetings as soon as possible," including on issues of security. Leon said no military party in Libya is strong enough to take full power and that a unity government is at the center of any deal. He expects the sides to meet again in the next couple of weeks to discuss the draft.

Destroying IS the “top priority” declares Misrata’s Bashagha and Warshefana are expected to join in fight. The Warhshefana group have agreed to join Misrata to fight the Islamic State (IS), according to Fathi Bashagha who leads the Misratan delegation to the UN-brokered Dialogue

A young social media activist who was openly critical of Libya Dawn militias has been found murdered in Tripoli. The body of Abdulrauf Al-Zaidi, who was aged 20, was found in the Drebi district on Thursday. He wrote the “Al-Drebi Now” Facebook Page. Family members are blaming the murder on militiamen belonging to Abdul Ghani Kikli aka “Ghnaiwa”.

The Tunisian government has sent an investigative judge and terrorism experts to Beida to investigate claims that Tunisian journalists Sofiane Choruabi and Nadhir Gtari have been murdered by the Islamic State (IS). The Libya government announced on Wednesday that a captured IS gunman had revealed that the two had been executed some time ago. Yesterday, acting Libyan Interior Minister Ahmed Barka confirmed to private Tunisian TV station Al Hiwar Ettounsi the deaths of the two.

As the EU beefs up its Operation Triton mission, France carried out its first maritime rescue this morning when a patrol vessel picked up 217 migrants in three inflatables off the Libyan coast and arrested two suspected people smugglers. The French were responding to an alert from Triton’s Rome-based maritime rescue co-ordination centre. Some of the migrants needed medical care. The French captain of the D’Estienne D’Orves class naval vessel F796 was reported by Reuters as saying  that the smugglers’ three boats had been “neutralised”. The news agency also said that those rescued had been handed over to the Italian authorities. Under the EU’s Dublin Treaty, illegal immigrants become the responsibility of the first country with which they come into contact.

A consignment of 70 new armoured vehicles was shipped into Tobruk this week, according to a source at Tobruk Security Directorate. The delivery, he explained, was the part of a larger order of 100 vehicles. Five were going to the border guards at Musaid, five were being kept for the Security Directorate and the rest were being shared out among security forces in Beida, Marj and elsewhere. “These cars will contribute significantly to the extension of security within towns, because we have been suffering from a lack of all kinds of equipment and weaponry,” the source said. He added that the vehicles had been ordered by the Interior Ministry during the administration of Ali Zeidan.

The Audit Bureau has sounded the alarm bells warning of dangerous indicators, economic disasters, an economy devoid of life, wasting money on consumer goods, with no work or productivity and cautioned that all financial indicators are negative. The warning came in its 2014 annual report released on Thursday. ‘’As a result of the assessment of the financial performance of the state during 2013-2014, some dangerous indicators have emerged warning of the occurrence of a financial and economic disaster’’, the report said. The Audit Bureau acknowledged the division of the country and the military operations, admitting that Libya has become devoid of life without work or production.

Due to the current ongoing unstable and unpredictable security situation within Libya, SNE are recommending that at this moment in time clients only carry out business essential travel trips to Libya, these trips should only be undertaken within Tripoli city limits and no movement should be attempted in the hours of darkness or near certain flash point areas such as Tripoli International Airport and surroundings districts, GNC buildings and hotels known to be frequented by internationals which could prove to be flash points for further incidents.

After the attack on the Corinthia hotel in Tripoli on the 27 January, hotels in Tripoli are now being looked at again from a security perspective and for the time being we recommend only using safe accommodation which has been authorised for use.

Locally employed client staff within Libya should continually practice extra vigilance and caution regarding their personal security, in addition anything classed as suspicious should be reported to the SNE Security Tripoli Operations Manager at the first opportunity.

We are advising No movement to the western area of Libya in and around Kikla and Rujban and other surrounding areas where fighting is still ongoing between the Zintan and Libya Dawn militia groups. Sporadic fighting between rival tribal factions is also currently ongoing in the areas of Ubari, Sabha & Murzuq and we are advising our clients Not to travel to these southern areas at present.

We are still advising NO travel should be made to Benghazi until the current situation shows signs of stability and Operation Dignity forces have full control of the city and transportation methods of entering and leaving Benghazi are open again.

SNE are supporting our clients at present in Tripoli with business essential travel visits and are offering a full turnkey security risk management, safe transportation with secure accommodation and life support package based from our Tripoli villa.

The British FCO and US State Department are still advising against travel to Libya and are monitoring the security and political situation before considering remobilisation plans back into Libya at some point in the future.

Before considering travel to Libya, an itinerary specific pre-travel risk assessment including mitigation measures are recommended. In-country personnel should be confident in their evacuation procedures and crisis management plans and in light of the current situation these should be checked and updated where necessary with the appropriate level of support in country to activate the plans when required.

To discuss further how SNE can support your projects in Libya or Egypt please contact us by email at [email protected] or call our Dubai office on +971 44561542 / +971 503786803

 

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply