Italy has ordered the temporary closure of its consulate in Benghazi following the failed attack on its consul at the weekend.
Guido De Sanctis escaped unharmed when his bullet-proof car came under fire, following which the Libyan government announced the creation of a special task force to protect diplomats.
A demonstration in support of Italy and against terrorism was held by Libyans on Monday in front of the building that hosts the Italian consulate.
Italy says it remains committed to the democratic process in Libya.
At a meeting in Rome last week, President Mohamed Magariaf [Magarief] said his government was receiving Italian assistance to train Libyan soldiers and police officers.
(Sources: Tripoli Post, NY Times)