Archive | Communications

China “Strategic Partner” in Libya’s Telecom Sector

By John Lee. A director of Libya’s General Authority of Communication and Informatics has reportedly said that Chinese companies are strategic partners to develop the telecommunications sector in Libya. According to a report from Xinhua, Adel Ehmedat also told a one-day workshop in Tripoli entitled “Postal Addressing: Necessity or Accessory” that companies such as companies […]

Protecting Freedom of Expression in Libya

From Lawyers for Justice in Libya (LFJL). Protect Freedom of Expression of Media Practitioners in Libya On World Press Freedom Day, LFJL remains deeply concerned by the restrictions imposed on media practitioners in Libya and reiterates its call to the Libyan state to protect freedom of expression and to guarantee media practitioners’ ability to conduct […]

Opportunity: Videos of Successful Entrepreneurs

The Support to Libya for Economic Integration, Diversification and Sustainable Employment (SLEIDSE) has issued a call for proposals from Libyan communication companies to provide six videos of successful Libyan entrepreneurs. The SLEIDSE programme is a 4-year technical assistance programme that has been entrusted by the European Union to Expertise France, the French technical cooperation agency, under an […]

Free Satellite Internet “Soon”

By John Lee. Plans are reportedly progressing to launch a free ka-band satellite broadband service in Libya in the second quarter of 2018. UK-based Quika promises the world’s first entirely free high-speed satellite internet for consumers in developing countries. Its free plan will be funded by paid-for services for enterprises and internet providers. According to […]

A Guide to Freedom of Expression in Libya

A Guide to Freedom of Expression in Libya has been authored by Lawyers for Justice in Libya thanks to the assistance of International Media Support. It is intended to provide support for media stakeholders and identify human rights recommendations for the Libyan State. It is available to download here. Libya’s legal framework is, at present, […]

Hiftar’s Son hires US Lobbying Firm

By John Lee. The son of Field Marshall Khalifa Haftar [Hiftar] has hired a US lobbying firm to “provide political and strategic advocacy activities in the US Congress on behalf of the Hiftar family.” The recently-filed Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) documents state that Benghazi-based Khaled Khalifa Haftar, a Captain in the Libyan National Army (LNA), […]

Zambia to pay $380m to LIA

By John Lee. The Zambian government has reportedly been ordered to pay the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA) $380 million as compensation for nationalising the Zambia Telecommunications Company (Zamtel) in 2011. LIA subsidiary LAP Green Networks had owned 75 percent of the company, with the Zambian government owning the remaining 25 percent. The LIA is said […]

New Oil Tenders

By John Lee. The National Oil Corporation (NOC) has advertised new tenders: Work-over rig (Tibisti field), Harouge Oil Operations (HOO) Work-over rig (Amal field), Harouge Oil Operations (HOO) Catering and Cleaning Services, Mellitah Oil and Gas Satellite stations, Arabian Gulf Oil Company (AGOCO) (Source: NOC)